Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Glue Gun Fun

Sunday was a good day. I got to use a hot glue gun! I know. Go ahead and roll your eyes. But I had so much fun. My glue gun went unused for years. In the last year or two, it has been pulled out a handful of times to reattach bows to Ree's barrettes and to complete other minor repairs. But it's been a long time since I've used it to create. 

On Saturday I cleaned out 7 boxes from all over the house and garage. Two of them included craft supplies donated to Ree's preschool by a woman in my office. The woman had been purging her mother's craft and sewing supplies, and the boxes were packed full of all sorts of things. In sorting through everything, I liberated a few items including heart shaped doilies and lots of little ribbon flowers and bows. They just screamed Homemade Valentines!, so Ree and I used the glue gun to put them together. The funny part? This took less time than assembling and addressing her store bought Valentines last year when she decided to personally address each and place them in their little envelopes. (My mom was brave enough to do this with her since I was busy with a new baby, but I am pretty sure the very word "valentine" still gives her a slight chill. And for the record, I am not sure where Ree came from. She does not take after her procrastinating parents. She made her Valentines in January, the same week I wrote thank you notes for Christmas gifts.)

In other crafting news, a few weeks ago, a mom at Ree's preschool had the kids make "quilts" by gluing fabric scraps on to a larger piece of fabric. She let me take home some of the extra supplies so we could do the project again with Leon and Michael. One night when the kids were stampeding through the house after dinner, I convinced them to slow down by filling the kitchen table with craft supplies. Instantly, they were mesmerized. (Well, on a sliding scale with Ree being very interested and Michael being interested because everyone else was doing it.) 

It turned out to be a fun and easy project (mostly because someone else had gotten everything ready for us!).






But even better, we made it through a rainy evening injury-free. 

No comments: