Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

I've always thought New Year's resolutions were dumb. The last time I made any was in the fourth grade when we had to make "wash and wear resolutions." I have no idea what my resolutions were - I know I made a list of all the things I knew I was "supposed" to want to change. I then had to dutifully write them within a t-shirt shape mimeographed (Yes! Mimeographed. We used to have the "Mimeograph lady" at my elementary school and the poor woman had permanent purple fingers. And probably a nice contact buzz.) onto a piece of paper. I then decorated the t-shirt, cut it out, and it was hung on a fake laundry line on the classroom wall. Being not artistically inclined, mine was definitely not the cutest t-shirt, and my resolutions were neither original nor sincere (although I am sure I tried to convince myself they were since I was also "supposed" to believe in them).

I have no idea why this experience has stayed with me. Maybe because it's taken me a long time to be even a little okay with the idea of failure. For most of my life I only did things I knew I would succeed at, and it's a running joke in a society that people do not follow through with New Year's resolutions. It's always been my M.O. to just quietly make changes when needed throughout the year. Plus for me, the year always starts around Labor Day and finishes just after Memorial Day. I have never gotten used to a calendar year. January is just an awkward time to change anything.

But this year I feel like making resolutions. I know I will break them, but I like the idea of at least changing my intent. They are pretty simple.

1. Clean and decorate our house.
We have been in our house for almost three years, and it has never been decorated or (sadly) really cleaned. I've decided to tackle a room a month (some months).

2. Begin migrating to all natural skincare, hair care, and makeup.
It took many years (at least 5+) for me to migrate to all natural cleaning products. And I still cheat at times, especially if someone gives me non-natural stuff to use. But I try. And now it's time to start improving what I put on my body.

3. Write every day.
Writing makes me happy. Writing helps me relax. I should do it more. No, it doesn't necessarily mean that I will be blogging more (I know you are relieved!), but it does mean that I will try to steal a few minutes to myself each day to jot down a few thoughts. Or I will enjoy the writing I do at work. (At least aside from writing audit workpapers. Those will never be enjoyable.)

Also, I will continue to change what I share here. I started blogging when Ree was a newborn in an effort to share her little life with family and friends. But as she, and her brothers and sister get older, it feels weird writing about them. Like I am going behind their back and gossiping. So I will continue to share some tidbits, but I will probably be writing increasingly more about me, or at least my perspective. So you've been warned.

May you have a wonderful new year - resolutions or not.

No comments: