Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hand Me Downs

We have always been lucky when it comes to getting clothes for the kids. When the boys were newborns, Jeff's cousin sent down boxes and boxes of clothes for them. She had a co-worker with twin boys who were about six months older than them, so not only did we inherit lots of clothing, they even had coordinating outfits.

As they've gotten older, they have a hand me down fairy. At the end of each season a friend packs up her son's clothes and sends it to us. A friend of my mom also periodically sends us bags of clothing, and collectively, the boys are set (especially when you factor in gifts from the grandparents). I was able to fully appreciate the pre-made wardrobe this weekend while I cleaned out their dresser.

It started simply. I am sick of seeing the boys get dressed for school each morning and they are wearing slipper socks, teensy little infant socks, or two horribly clashing socks. (Although I'm not sure the horribly clashing socks aren't intentional. Ree spent two years of her life wanting to only wear "mismatch" socks to school.) So I cleaned out their sock drawer, which resulted in an entire grocery bag of socks to donate to Goodwill. Then I moved on to their other drawers. When I got to long sleeve tees, by the time I purged everything that would no longer fit over Leon's giant noggin, there were two sad little shirts in the drawer. Pants were even worse. I had Leon try on several pairs of pants from last year. Every pair ended just below the knee. We were covered on rainy days, but I thought perhaps we might want some longer pants on frosty mornings.

So I went out to the garage where I keep the extra clothes we receive. Hello, instant wardrobe! I was able to refill their drawers with at least enough clothes to get us through the school week. No shopping required! Phew. Now the task is finding families to take the bags and bags of purged shirts and pants...

No comments: