Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spring Cleaning

In an attempt to add another project to the "finished" category, I cleaned out my pantry over the weekend. Although I am mostly reformed, I have a long history as a hoarder. I hate throwing away things of value, and I really despise throwing away food. There really aren't many "science experiments" in our fridge. Whether good or bad, we tend to eat everything in there before it gets too scary, but occasionally we do have to purge. Apparently, though, I have long avoided purging my pantry. Some of the gems I discovered while cleaning:
  • Yeast that expired in 2010
  • Chocolate eggs from Easter 2010
  • Powdered milk purchased at Athens Kroger that expired in 2008
  • Corn syrup that expired in 2006
However, the piece de resistance was scone mix given to me by a teacher at Chauncey my first year as the afterschool program coordinator. That was back in 2003. Oddly, it did still pain me to throw out the scone mix. I dutifully washed and kept the Mason jar it was in.

I must admit the project is not yet finished. This week I am going to tackle my spices. There are some in there from my first apartment in college. Considering they say herbs and spices lose their flavor after one year, it might be time to toss some of them before they hit the 15-year mark.

No comments: