Monday, April 16, 2012

Easter


My house is the land of unfinished projects. I get so excited to start projects, and then I get...distracted. My Easter blog post has been an unfinished project too. I actually wrote most of this on Easter evening, I just wasn't happy with it, and I never went back and fixed it. So tonight I am giving myself five minutes to fix it, post it, and move on. It's good for me. And you know you want to see more random pics.

Jeff and I missed actually seeing the kids discover Easter baskets, but they didn't seem to mind in the least. The kids had been playing with empty plastic eggs since Thursday. It was amusing how quickly Natalia discovered these eggs had treasures inside.


For the second year running, we had to dye eggs before we could eat them for breakfast. There was no planning involved, and we ended up coloring them with plain ol' food coloring instead of fancy egg dying kits or lovely natural dyes. Still, I think the eggs turned out quite pretty in a simple way. Oh, and the kids were really into the color green. We had both teal and lime green going. Unlike last year, these actually dried which was nice. (Last year I was using the hair dryer to set the color on the eggs while Jeff cooked breakfast.) The only downside was we didn't buy eggs until Saturday, so they were too fresh and the peel stuck.


After breakfast we headed to the park. We arrived around 10:45, and the kids were able to enjoy 20 or 30 minutes without any other kids on the playground. They have gotten rather fearless, so time without other kids is good.


We ate way too much sugar, and I will hopefully remember to remedy that for next year, but some of it is too enjoyable to pass up. Like our cake. For years, my mom has made a bunny face cake. You know the one. It's the bunny wearing a bowtie. The kids and I have made it the past few years, and it's always lots of fun. But this year I got an email from Betty Crocker with a link to a Bunny Butt Cake, and I just couldn't resist. There's something so wrong, yet so irresistible about it! We attempted to make ears and decided to opt out. Ree liked the idea of our bunny's whole head, including ears, being buried in the grass while digging.


While dinner was in the oven, the kids finally got to have an egg hunt. We haven't mowed in the backyard yet this year, and it's a little scary in spots, but it makes for great egg hunting. (That's our story and we're sticking to it.)




I think the biggest reason I didn't post this was because I felt it didn't show the whole picture. There were as many downs as ups in the day. But that's a story for another time.



No comments: