Saturday, March 19, 2011

Smarty Pants

A few weeks ago Ree looked at me and very seriously said, "Mom, we need to do more science activities."  Um, yeah.  I will get right on that.  Just after I figure out how to bathe everyone in a single day.  Thankfully, Ree is as ambitious as she is curious, and she took it upon herself to learn more about the natural world when Jeff and I failed her.  The other day I found her planning a lesson because she was teaching at "Abby's (stuffed animal/imaginary friend) preschool."  She had all her science books out - they would be learning about nature and senses and animals - and she was supplementing with pictures from National Geographic kids.  This child knows how to plan an integrated, cross-curricular lesson!  We also spend all our car rides, and occasional moments at home playing a game she made up called Guess That Wild Animal in which you give clues to describe a wild animal.  The other day I started listening to the clues.  This is a mammal...this animal is nocturnal...this insect undergoes a metamorphosis.  It occurred to me that it won't be long before Ree is much, much smarter than us.  Like before she goes to kindergarten.

No comments: