Monday, March 21, 2011

Chef Leon's New Kitchen

I am a big fan of freecycle.  In an effort to keep things out of landfills, it's a place for giving and getting items that no longer have any monetary value and couldn't be sold in a yard sale or donated to Goodwill.  For example, I've posted (and found new homes for) the wax left from burnt out candles and a crock pot that was missing a dial causing you to need a pair of pliers to change the temperature setting.

I like freecycle for getting stuff too.  I recently saw a post for a Melissa and Doug wooden kitchen, and I was picked to be the recipient.  On Friday, while Natalia and I were out running errands, I went to get it.  We got a minivan in January (yes, we finally succumbed), and my plan was to just throw the kitchen in the back.  Unfortunately, I quickly realized I wouldn't be just throwing this kitchen anywhere.  The thing weighed 40 or 50 pounds.  So I dragged the dang thing about 15 feet from the nice donor's carport to the van.  Phew.  In addiiton to being heavier than I anticipated, it was quite a bit larger too.  I realized I would have to take the double stroller out of the back so that the kitchen could sit all the way down in the well behind the last seat.  Because we have four carseats all buckled in, there isn't much room in the passenger area.  So the monster stroller got to ride shotgun in the front.  I hoisted the kitchen up, and realized it wouldn't fit the way I originally planned.  So I finagled it and turned it around.  Still wouldn't fit.  Turned it on its side.  No go.  Finally put it back on the ground.  Fifteen minutes, and numerous attempts later, I got it all the way in the van and was able to close the doors.  In the process, I learned the value of a "stow-and-go" rear seat and discovered that wit a little Tetrising, carseats can be stacked.

As I started to pull out of their driveway, the van started beeping frantically at me.  The stroller, wedged into the front passenger seat, was not buckled in.  Go safety features.

All of this seemed like an awful lot of work and a much bigger pain than anticipated.  But then I brought the kitchen home.  Leon's reaction made it totally worthwhile.  He didn't smile or thank me.  He just went straight to work.  The kids were all excited about it, and while they explored, I fed Natalia.  I checked on the kids after about 15 minutes, and I noticed the kitchen was stocked with toy dishes in the cabinet, toy food in the fridge and freezer, and a tray of cookies on the oven.  I asked Ree who had done all that.  She quickly replied that it was Leon, and she used a tone like I should've known better.  Later, Leon grabbed my arm and dragged me to the toy room while saying, "Show me!"  He wanted to show me his kitchen.  As he pointed out the sink, refrigerator, freezer, oven, microwave, and stove, I figured out his reaction.  Chef Leon was relieved to finally have his own kitchen.

No comments: