Sunday, April 14, 2013

Seattle (Again)

It is Sunday night, and I should be getting ready for the week ahead. But that really doesn't sound like fun. Actually, that sounds horrible. So forgive my self indulgence as I revisit our trek to Seattle. Or feel free to ignore me. (Side note: Why is it that when people read something on the internet that they don't like or don't agree with, they so often take the time to comment to the author and tell them how stupid they are? Why not just ignore it instead of (potentially) increasing the author's advertising revenue with their hatred? I don't get it.)

So without further ado, my Seattle awards (based on photos that I didn't already post when writing to the kids all last week).

Best Bathroom Feature
This was actually in the Atlanta airport, but I was impressed with the built in step stools in the women's bathrooms. Hurray for not squishing kids' stomachs while trying to simultaneously lift them up, work the faucet, get soap, and juggle luggage. I also liked that the Atlanta airport had separate, marked large stalls for handicapped individuals and for baby changing stations.

I was also impressed with the bathroom attendant who greeted me in the Charlotte airport on the way back. That is, until I realized she greeted everyone. Including some of the toilets.

Most Eco Friendly City
I knew I was going to love Seattle's tree hugging. I didn't realize how much until I stepped off the plane, and even the airport trash bins had more spaces for recycling than actual trash.


Fast food restaurants and mall food courts were even better. They threw in some good, old-fashioned composting. (And not a styrofoam container to be found.)


Then there were all the Prius cabs, the double buses that were electric hybrids, the fact that almost all the food served everywhere (including at my conference) was local...swoon.

Most Puzzling
I found the EMP to be confusing. In a great way, but confusing none-the-less. From the outside, it is all bright and colorful. The staff working the front desk are all appropriately tattooed and pierced. But then you head of the exhibits, and they switch to real museum mode. Dark, indirect lighting. No flash photography. Written captions on the wall. Except the first thing we saw in the indirect lighting was Dave Grohl's drums, circa 1993.


And the dark signs said things like this.


Actually, now that I think about it, I could write a lot more about EMP. (Another side note: Kurt Cobain came up with the cover design for Nevermind after watching a special on water births.)

Best View of People in Paper Gowns
The view from our hotel room. There were many people in paper gowns to be seen. They probably thought they had the best view of people in their pajamas.


Most Random Places for Green Space
I was impressed at Seattle's ability to cram in fairly substantial green spaces every few blocks throughout downtown. Plus I noticed quite a few buildings sporting rooftop gardens. But I have to say, I was most impressed when I spotted trees growing across and moss hanging down from an overpass. (See if you can spot it!)
 
There is so much more I wish to ramble about, but it is waaaay past my bedtime. But at least I am feeling relaxed. Now maybe I am ready to tackle another week. Maybe.

No comments: