Sunday, April 7, 2013

Parents' Night Out

I haven't written in a few weeks, and I've been a bit of a grouchy pants. I am pretty sure there is some correlation. Writing is definitely one of the ways I relax. Thankfully, Ree has been on spring break for the past three weeks (hurray for year round schools!), and I've at least been able to work out in the mornings on a regular basis so I haven't killed anyone. This is good.

I'm sure there is lots to share from the past three weeks, but it is awfully early and despite being a morning person, I am a little brain dead. I think I am just giddy from freedom. You see last night Jeff and I spent are first night alone together without children since I interviewed for my job nearly five and a half years ago. 

I am heading to Seattle this morning to attend a conference for work. So that Jeff could travel with me, my parents foolishly generously agreed to watch the kids while we are away. And since our flight is so early, my parents traded houses with us last night so that we didn't have to worry about sneaking out super early and they didn't have to get up at 5am too.

In getting ready for this, I wrote instructions for my parents, emergency release forms, and notes to the kids' schools. (Hey, Mom! I forgot to tell you there is a note for preschool in Michael's bag. Ree's is in her TOTO book where notes go.) I wrote out a list of foods the kids like and posted it on the fridge so the kids can help with meal selection. (Although there can be some disadvantages, there are also benefits of having children that can read. It is so nice to avoid the "What's for dinner? What's for dinner? What's for dinner? By saying, "Go read the fridge!") But it never occurred to me to leave the kids with a set of emergency contact information.

We somehow managed to keep this trip a secret from all the kids until about Wednesday. Ree started asking questions then, but the other three were in the dark until we told them yesterday. Michael was ecstatic that Gran and Gene were going to have a four day "sleepover." Natalia ignored us until it was time to tell us goodbye, and then she was a bit uncertain. I think Leon pretended the whole thing didn't exist until I actually went to tell him goodbye. Then he got a little misty eyed, although the poor little dude did his best to keep a stiff upper lip. I reassured him that he could call me or email me (with a little assistance), but he kept insisting he didn't know my email address or my phone number and he was doubtful that my parents would be of much help. So finally, I went and got a piece of paper, wrote MOM at the top, and then wrote down my contact information for him. As I handed it to him, he visibly relaxed. Mom was reachable.

So what did we do with our first night of freedom? We did go out to dinner at a great Thai place we had never tried before, but after that we sat on the couch at my parents watching reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond and eating junk food. It is a sad day when cookies in the open at 7:30 at night is a big treat, but it's true. Here's hoping to get a little crazier over the next few days!

Thanks Jenna for the treats!

No comments: