Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mother's Little Helper



When we don't channel his energy for good, Leon is one crazy little dude.  The child is just filled with nervous energy, and he has to always be tinkering or climbing or disassembling a car or something.  I am learning to take advantage of him, at least while he's young enough to be willing to help.  Each night in the bathtub, I ask the boys who wants to get out first.  And the response is always the same.  Leon ignores me completely and Michael points at the other kid in the tub and says, "Lon," which would be his name for his brother.  I've discovered though, that if I get Michael out first, Leon will pick up the tub while I dress Michael.  For the past two nights Leon has cleaned the tub, dumping all water out of cups, wringing out washcloths, and stacking everything in the toy bowl.  Considering that it's getting more and more challenging for me to bend down and clean the tub (and, honestly, I'm caring less and less), this is fabulous.

Another area we've been struggling with is teeth brushing time.  Leon brushes his teeth first, and then he proceeds to stand and jump on the toilet while Michael brushes his teeth.  So Leon is now responsible for gathering all the dirty laundry in the bathroom and taking it to the hamper in our room while Michael brushes his teeth.  And amazingly, Leon is happy to comply.

I am so going to enjoy this while it lasts.  It would be great if he makes it through the tween years and is still this helpful.  But I will still be ecstatic if we make it to next week.

No comments: