Monday, November 16, 2009

Better Than Ice Cream

The last two weekends (and the days in between) have been nuts.  Lots of crazy, good developments with the kids.  And Round Two of illness.  (I heart preschool!)  More details will be coming one of these days.  Really.  It could happen...hey, at least you know I have good intentions!

I've started running away on Sundays, at least for a little bit, to escape the madness.  A week ago I ran away to the beach.  I only had a 45 minute window to escape, and the drive takes almost 15 minutes each way, so I only had about 15 minutes actually on the beach.  But it was so worth it because I went ALL BY MYSELF.  The weather was in the 70s and just fabulous.  I drove with all the windows down and sunroof open listening to my music, yes, MY music, really loudly.  It was heavenly.  The beach was nice too!

Last night I took Ree with me, and we ran away to Boombalatti's, a local ice cream shop that makes all of their ice cream in house daily.  It is fabulous ice cream.  I'm sure it's because people just don't go out for ice cream on a regular basis in November in Ohio, but I'm not used to seasonal ice cream flavors in the fall.  Graeter's makes pumpkin ice cream, but that's about it.  Here it is a whole different story.  There was an entire case devoted to autumnal ice cream.  There was cranberry apple cider sorbet, and a whole host of flavors made with dried fruits and nuts.  I ended up getting the pumpkin ice cream, which was at least as good as Graeter's, in case you were curious.  Ree picked the cranberry walnut coconut.  She was so excited about it.  She didn't even want to look at the vanilla with sprinkles that was right next to it.  Her order got a raised eyebrow from the college-aged guy working behind the counter.  As we were leaving, he asked if she liked it.  I informed him that she ate every last bite.  My girl is not a plain Jane!

No comments: