Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Language Confusion


While taking walks, R's current favorite game is to pick a letter of the alphabet and then brainstorm as many words as possible that start with that letter. Generally, she will throw out one or two suggestions, and then she nags, "more, More, MORE!" until I give up and suggest another letter. While we were out walking on Saturday, she picked the letter, "C." I suggested car, corn, and carrots. I was careful to stay clear of "celery" and other words with a soft "C" sound. As she demanded more words, I said, "cucumber."

Before I could add another word, she stopped me. "Maaahhhmeee," said in her most chastizing tone, "CUE-cumber starts with a Q."

Huh?

I started to correct her, and then I thought about it. The girl had a point. No wonder it's so hard to learn to spell.

No comments: