Friday, August 26, 2011

Afternoon Update

Around noon a band came through with blinding rain and strong enough winds to down branches on trees on campus. At that point my boss decided it was time for us to get out of Dodge, even if the university was still technically open. We started packing up and thankfully were able to leave during a break.

So you know how you always see news footage of long lines of cars sitting on the highway evacuating? It's true. We are just under a voluntary evacuation for the beaches, and the drive home was still nuts. I only live about 5 miles from work, and the drive takes me 9 minutes early in the morning or 15 - 20 minutes in traffic. It took me 20 minutes today just to get to Carolina Ale House which is a restaurant just off campus. Good times. While I was driving home listening to the radio, I did get to discover just how many song there are about hurricanes and storms. I feel so enlightened.

The wind and rain have been increasing all day and have been pretty steady for about the last hour and a half. At this point we are only supposed to see tropical force sustained winds with hurricane strength gusts. We shall see. It does look cool out. All the trees in our yard our tilting sideways in a perfect counter-clockwise direction.

No comments: