Saturday, June 25, 2011

It's been a hot summer so far.  I realized just how hot the other night when Ree showed up at our bedroom door at 3 a.m.  I won't lie; often, when she wakes me up during the night, I am completely annoyed.  She tends to be hysterical and its over something silly like one of the approximately 427 stuffed animals she sleeps with is missing.  To make it worse, she often just lays in bed shrieking.  But this time she had enough sense to get out of bed and walk to our room, and she was neither screaming nor crying, so I was already happier than usual to help.  I asked her what was wrong.  Her response, "I'm cold and I can't figure out to get warm."  I smiled and asked her if she had been sleeping under the covers.  Nope, she hadn't been.  And it's been so long since she's slept any way other than on top of her bed with a fan on her and the A/C blasting that in the middle of the night, she had forgotten it was possible to actually climb IN bed.  So I tucked her in bed then went back to sleep myself happy that on that "chilly" night when the temperature dipped to the mid-70s, I was able to avert disaster.

No comments: