Sunday, May 22, 2011

I remember when Ree was little, we would sweat out the milestones.  The first that I vividly remember was her batting at toys, or rather, her not batting at toys.  Around three months (and probably earlier) babies are "supposed" to reach for toys.  Ree showed no interest.  She wanted us to entertain her, but she took no interest in entertaining herself.  Then, the day she turned four months, she reached for a rattle, grabbed it on the first try, and stuck it her mouth. Stinkpot.  Her crazy perfectionism continued as she learned to sit, crawl, and walk.  Actually, it's still around today.

Then there's Natalia.  The forgotten child.  With Ree we knew she wasn't doing what she was "supposed" to do because we were actively reading about what to do at each stage.  I know I've said before we consider it a good day when we remember to feed AND change Natalia.  I do get a short email each week on her development that I scan.  It comes from the hospital's photographer, of all places.  I got one on Thursday that said, "By now your baby is rolling from front to back and back to front."  Uh, whoopsie.  She isn't doing either.  I mentioned it to Jeff, but with no concern.  More like, "Hey, we should probably let the child touch the floor."  But the reality is, it's scary putting her down.  We "only" had to worry about Ree getting trampled by two dogs.  Now those dogs are four years older and much less cautious around babies, plus there are three big siblings.  Even if no one is trying to hurt her, that's an awful lot of people who can accidentally fall over on the baby.  So while Natalia gets at least a little tummy time most days, she alternates between her bouncy seat, the sling, and being held an awful lot of the time.  (And even the bouncy seat can be scary.  On two different occasions, I've see Michael try to use it as a catapult, while poor Natalia is in it.)

So Thursday night, as the boys were trotting off to bed, I put Natalia down on a blanket so she could exercise while I tucked them in.  As soon as I put her down, she rolled over.  It's like she knew.

No comments: