Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gender Roles in Our House

Jeff texted me one day last week to tell me the kids were playing house again.  I had never witnessed this, but he told me it was something they do regularly.  He was laughing because Michael had begged to be the baby again.  Michael always wanted to be the baby.  Over the weekend I learned a bit more about how they play.  Ree is the mom, and she's usually off at work unless it's "Saturday" and she gets to stay at home.  Leon is always the dad, and Michael, of course, is always the baby.  (The actual baby is apparently not included in this, which may be the safest option anyway.) 

Ree brought up the topic of playing at house at dinner last night.  I asked Michael if he ever wanted to be the dad and he said no, he wanted to the baby.  I asked Leon if he ever wanted to be the baby and he said no, he was the dad.  So I asked Leon what dads do, and he instantly replied, "Cook!"  Then I asked Michael what babies do, and he quickly replied, "Eat!"  No wonder they are so happy with their roles.

No comments: