Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Curriculum Coordinator

Every week at preschool, Ree is required to bring in a nature share.  It is their version of show-and-tell, and as the name implies, it has to be something from nature.  I find this to be the bane of my existence.  It was fun to take in shells from the beach and fall leaves, but those were just each one week.  There are a lot of other weeks to fill.  I struggle with this.  Thankfully, I have Jeff to pick up the slack.

We were discussing this over the weekend, and I realized while we may be lacking in things to share are school, we did have a pretty nature-filled weekend.  We went to the mall and got eight new trees for the backyard, courtesy of a local group that was giving them away.  While planting them, Jeff accidentally dug up a hibernating frog. (Thankfully we had recently learned, thanks to Ree, that frogs hibernate.  Neither one of us could ever recall previously hearing that frogs hibernate, and without that knowledge, the little guy would've been hard to identify.  And, yes, Jeff did his best to restore him to his sleeping spot.)  We keep the dogs' water bowl outside so that Leon doesn't use it for his cooking projects, and we checked out the ice that formed on it over night.  As a result we also talked about cold weather and looked at the circle of ice I was eventually able to thaw out of the bowl.  (Oooh!  Math too!) 

Sunday night Ree started asking me about what happens to fruits and veggies when they go bad.  She wanted to know all about decomposition and asked if we could look at pictures of it on the computer.  I have no idea what inspired this (I'm hoping it wasn't something in our fridge), but I told her that we could and asked if she would like to do that instead of reading a bedtime story.  She said "Sure!" then added, "Mom, we just don't do enough science things."  Sigh. 

No comments: