Friday, December 24, 2010

Petite Diplomat

Last night Jeff and I sat down and finally wrapped presents.  As with most things, we were totally unprepared and decided to wing it, and things turned out relatively okay.  In this case, rather than purchasing gift wrap this year, I decided to just use up what we had, which was a decent assortment of started rolls of wrapping paper and gift bags left from prior years.  I just underestimated the number and physical size of some of the presents for the kids.  (Don't get me wrong.  We are still incredibly cheap and aren't into going overboard for Christmas.  The kids are each getting one gift from Santa and one gift from us.  But we also have wrapping duty for presents from the extended family, and there are quite a few people who love our little snotty monsters.)  Anyway our, um, eco-friendly frugalness resulted in some rather creatively covered packages as wrapping paper was pieced together to cover them.  Jeff had wrapping duty while I did the embellishing and tagging.  As he handed me one of the crazy looking parcels, he mentioned that earlier this week Ree had watched him wrapping presents for me.  She studied his work for a minute and then said as gently as she could, without a trace of sarcasm in her voice, "I didn't know you could wrap presents like THAT."  As he finished, he inquired if the package looked good.  She replied with far more tact than one would expect from a four-year-old, "It's...interesting."

No comments: