Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Why I Heart My Daughter

Ree was so cute last night.  Every night before bed we clean her room, and every night it is a battle.  She is not opposed to cleaning, she is just easily distracted.  She will start to put Legos away and realize that they will fit better in the tub if she first arranges them in the shape of a castle.  Or she discovers that the doll house people really need to have a major renovation of their abode before going to sleep for the night.  We actually don't fight about it too much, we just try to keep her on task and either Jeff or I do most of the cleaning.  Last night when she and I got to her room, all of her blankets and pillows were on the floor, which wasn't unusual.  She likes to have "sleepovers."  However, last night, when I said it was time to clean she said, "Mom, you're sick.  You lay down and I'll do all the cleaning."  She even had a blanket, pillow, and "friend" out just for me.

I've been battling a mild case of the flu since Sunday, and I didn't fight her.  Instead, I laid down and closed my eyes.  Surprisingly, I heard cleaning sounds.  I somehow managed to resist the urge to check on things.  I waited a few minutes and then asked if she needed help.  She said, "No thank you.  You just get cozy."  So I did.

And somehow, miraculously, the girl who can't pick up her toys managed to clean her entire room in under 10 minutes.  I suppose I shouldn't use this against her when it's time to clean up tonight.  That nap on the floor was awfully nice.

No comments: