Tuesday, April 6, 2010

No longer MIA

I'd like to have a great reason for not writing anything for the past two weeks.  I'd like to say that it's because my parents came to visit or because Michael ran a 103-degree fever all last week.  And both are true, but they really weren't why I didn't write.  I'd like to say it's because we've been busy enjoying the spring and are spending time each day running around in the backyard, which is also true.  But again, this isn't why I haven't been writing.

The truth is, I just haven't been able to get myself organized.  It's been so weird.  Normally, I am on top of things.  When asked at interviews about my greatest strengths, organization and time management popped up at the top of the list.  But these days, not so much.

Which leads me to wonder what the heck happened.  If anything, I should've had more time than ever to write.  I did not work a full week in the past four weeks.  The first week doesn't really count.  We had that stomach bug from hell, and I stayed home from work on Monday, Tuesday, and half of Wednesday.  The following week, I just worked half a day from home on Monday since I had the flu and Michael had all those new teeth.  Realizing how run down I was, I worked another half day from home on Friday. 

Three day weeks are nice.  So nice that I decided to only work three days the following week.  I had been planning on saving vacation, but my parents were coming in town, and with our crew, it takes an entire day to accomplish anything, including cleaning the house.  So I took off a day so that Jeff and I can clean the house and he could do some much-needed yard work.  (And one of the reasons I love my husband so?  He did almost all of the cleaning while I took care of the kids.  Ahh.  Some days I know I married the right guy!)  

My parents arrived late that afternoon, and then I had a real three day weekend to play.  It was wonderful. I think everyone had a fabulous time.  It was definitely our best visit with guests since the boys have been born.  We managed to squeeze in everything that everyone wanted to do.  We went to the beach, swimming at the indoor pool at my parents' hotel, and shopping.  My parents took off on their own and got to take care of some things they wanted to do.  Jeff and I even got to have a date.  Part of the reason we did so much was that we were constantly shuffling schedules around naps.  That resulted in us going out on a date at 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday, but hey, WE GOT TO GO ON A DATE!  Perhaps I used up all my time management skills for the month that weekend.  They were working overtime.

I certainly can't blame my disorganization on a lack of sleep, at least not for the usual reason.  Leon has been sleeping through the night.  Yes.  Really.  LEON IS SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT.  Crazy stuff.  I think it's because of the amount of time he spends outside.  Both boys love outside.  Leon defines any excursion outside our house as "bye bye," and he regularly beats on both the front and back doors asking "bye bye?"  If he really wants to turn on the charm, he'll thrown in his version of "please" which sounds like "peez" and his fake smile.  His fake smile is hilarious.  It's really hard to say no to a little guy begging, "bye bye, PEEEEEEZ???" and grinning like a mad man.

When he gets outside, he runs and runs and runs.  On Saturday, the first time we went outside, he ran in circles for 10 minutes screaming, "eeeeEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEE," the whole time.  He was one happy little dude.  When he comes in, he eats and eats and eats.  And then he sleeps well.  It's great.  And, yes, I realized I have completely jinxed his sleeping.  But it's been great while it lasted.  And at least we know he is capable of sleeping.  And development.  Since he started sleeping, his vocabulary and social interaction skills have just exploded.

But since Leon is turning into a functioning human being, that means it's time for Michael to fall apart.  He just hasn't been right lately.  He really did have that nasty fever all week.  He also got five new teeth to go with it.  What we'll never what was really wrong.  The poor little guy may have had the flu too, which would explain why he had to be held 24 hours a day for four or five days.  Jeff held him all day.  We would take turns holding him from the time I got home from work until bedtime.  The one not holding him would be running around like mad trying to take care of Ree, Leon, Pru, and Max and at least meeting their basic needs.  Then I would do most of the holding at night.  That was crazy.  I'm blaming that on my inability to get organized last week.  We were only sleeping three to four hours a day night in short bursts.  That wore me down.  Whew.

But then we had a fabulous weekend.  Michael still didn't feel great, but he wasn't horrible either, and we had a lot of fun.  Maybe my brain was just on strike. 

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: