Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Talking Heads

For the past couple of weeks, Natalia has been chattering a lot.  I love coming home from work and having her babble to me, telling me all about her day.  She is also good at realizing when others are talking, and she tries to join in the conversation.  One night last week I had a board meeting for an organization that I volunteer with, and I took her with me to the meeting.  After to listening to everyone talk for an hour, she decided to join in the conversation.  It was pretty fun to watch.

I can't help but relive the babbling phases of the other kids as Natalia goes through hers.  I remember that Ree did the same thing as Natalia and would chatter away when I came home from work.  Leon preferred to talk and sing to himself in "private" and so I would wake up in the middle of the night and hear him babbling away in his swing in the dark, a whopping two feet from my head.  (Thankfully his chatter was fun to listen to.)  And to this day, he is still what's known as a "crib talker."  Every night when we tuck him in he talks and talks and processes the day.

And then there was Michael.  There are times now where we are fairly certain he has talked for 24 hours straight, because he has verbal diarrhea all day, and he will continue to talk in his sleep.  He will talk to anyone about anything.  But that wasn't always the case.  Of the two boys, he was the first to talk, but he did not want to get caught talking.  If we witnessed a coo, he would freeze.  It's like you could see his little brain thinking, "I was NOT being cute.  I am still angry at being born.  I will now return to my regularly scheduled emo baby routine."

No comments: