Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New Friends

We had gorgeous weather all last week.  Actually, the weather is still nice, and I couldn't be more thankful.  We've been able to get the kids outside and to let some fresh air inside the house.  And it's February.  This is why we moved to southeastern North Carolina.  (Although I have to admit, I really enjoyed the snow last month.  I am just greedy like that and want to experience all the seasons.  On a side note, our neighbors are moving to Naples, Florida because they can't take another "brutal" winter like this one!)

Anywho, because it was sunny and warm, last Friday Jeff and I took the whole crew to pick up Ree from preschool.  We went early so the boys could enjoy some time on the playground.  Ree's preschool is in an older house that has been converted to a school, and the playground is a huge, fenced in backyard filled with large, old trees and all sorts of wonderful things to do.  It's also a "community" preschool in which the parents are in charge and families are welcome just about any time.  As a result, there is typically a swarm of younger siblings playing outside while they wait for the big kids to finish with their school day inside.  As it turned out, the preschoolers were actually out on the playground when we arrived.  The weather was so nice the teachers took everyone outside to eat lunch and play.

As we walked on to the playground, I immediately apologized to the teachers.  We'd had no intention of walking into their activities, but they truly didn't seem to mind.  And I had to admit I was enjoying being there.  The sun was shining, Natalia was sleeping in the sling, and one of the teachers had brought a CD player outside and reggae filled the air.  Of course, Ree was not much of a fan of any of this, since she doesn't do well with sudden changes.  First lunch had been moved, then she had to contend with us showing up during the school day.  Not so great.  So while Jeff talked to her (she always responds better to him than to me), I got to watch the boys.

At home, when they play with each other, the boys act like idiots.  There is no way around it.  I suppose that is just what brothers do, but I always wonder if they are truly that inept socially.  Leon has shown signs of being able to adapt to different situations, though.  There was one night a month or two ago in which Michael wasn't feeling well and asked to go to bed right after dinner.  When it came time for baths, Leon did not want to take a bath by himself, and Ree amazingly agreed to take a bath with him.  During their bath, I watched as Leon started to take toys from Ree, like he does from Michael, but I could see Leon catching himself.  He actually asked Ree before he took toys from here.  Not that he's always this good.  Since Saturday afternoon, I've had to forcibly remove Leon from Ree's room on four or five occasions after he snuck in uninvited.  On the playground, Leon started drawing with sidewalk chalk, and he and a little boy from Ree's class ended up coloring together for 45 minutes.  I would sneak over at times to listen to their conversation.  It was mostly the older boy patiently giving Leon suggestions for what to draw (no matter the suggestion, Leon drew a line and proclaimed it to be the recommend object) and showing Leon how to use an eraser while Leon responded with "please" and "thank you."  It was very fun to watch.

Then there's Michael.  He doesn't play well with Leon at home.  And on the playground at preschool, he doesn't play well with the other boys.  He doesn't do well with taking turns and sharing.  Jeff said he's actually watched Michael refuse to throw a ball for fear that someone else will touch it, even though Michael knows the other child just wants to throw it back to him.  What I hadn't thought about, though, was the girl factor.

The girls in Ree's class love Michael.  They fight over who gets to carry him around (I have no idea how they lift him.  I barely can!) and who gets to pull him in the wagon.  As I was dropping off Ree one day last week, a girl walked up to me knowing that I was Ree's mom and proclaimed, "I love Michael."  And I had never thought about it before, but Michael does play well with girls.  At one point last Friday the boys were playing in the sandbox, and this same girl walks up to him, catches his eye, and says, "Hi, Michael!"  Michael, proving to be far more savvy than I ever imagined, immediately responded, "Hi, Maggie," and the two proceeded to play together for quite awhile.  I guess there is hope!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Let's stop mentioning your great weather. We're snowed in over here!! LOLOL