Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Name is Earl

For those who are curious, yes, Earl really should pretty much leave us alone unless it drastically changes course over the next few hours.  We live at the southern tip of North Carolina in the area that is currently blue on the National Hurricane Center map.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Right now the winds on shore are still calm, and the trees outside my building at work aren't moving any more than usual.  However, based on my headache, I think the pressure is dropping fairly rapidly.  (That or I am just tired, hungry, and cranky.)  The last I heard, we weren't even supposed to have horrible winds or much rain.  We shall see.

The closest beach to us is Wrightsville Beach.  It's a mile from the back of campus at UNCW and about 5 miles from our house.  I'm sure the surfers were disappointed when they woke up this morning.  When I checked the beach cam, waves were only waist high.  Here's the most recent surf report.

Thursday Surf Report:
8:20 am
Building hurricane surf today. Not that big early on. Waist-head high but inconsistent. That will change as the storm draws closer today. Increasing NE wind. Be safe. Earl Satellite

Wind:
NE-ENE 15-40+ mph
(next 6 hours)

If you get bored, keep checking the surf cam.  There should be plenty of surf action late this afternoon and into the evening.

p.s.  Based on the current hurricane/tropical storm names, does anyone else feel the need for a Disney movie and TV marathon???

No comments: