Sunday, September 14, 2008

I'm Growing!


Any woman who has ever been pregnant understands the feeling of growing overnight. With any pregnancy you can wear something one day and it fits fine, you wash it, then when you try to put it on two days later, it's way too small. (And you know the dryer wasn't that hot.) But twins seem to be taking the overnight, and daytime, growth to a whole new level. Some of my fun experiences from the past week include:
  • Attempting to put on pajamas. I have spent most of this pregnancy sleeping in my stretched out size-small t-shirts that I wore through most of my pregnancy with R. (I'm not a big person, and they got me through the first 36 or so weeks with her.) The other night I went to put on one of these shirts. I could not get it over my belly. It's not that it was even more stretched out on my belly - it just wouldn't pull down over my belly. It was like the experience of trying to put on a pair of stiff jeans that are 2 sizes too small. It just doesn't work. So I dug through my drawer, found a larger shirt, and put it on. I told Jeff about my experience, and he commented that the new shirt I found fit really well and looked like it was just the right size. The new shirt was a men's extra-large.
  • Time lapse photography. Jeff was looking at pictures on the camera and came across one where he finally took a picture of my belly. He commented that we really needed an updated photo (implying I was a whole lot bigger). I reminded him that the photo was a whopping eight days old.
  • Trying to get home from work. On Friday morning I sat down in my car, noticed my belly was getting closer to the steering wheel but thought I had a ways to go before it made contact with the steering wheel, and drove to work. On Friday afternoon when I got in the car, my belly was touching the steering wheel. I do work a strange and long schedule, but I had been in my car within 10 hours!
On the bright side, I hear that twins do grow much earlier than singletons, so perhaps the growth rate will slow down. Meanwhile I will enjoy that while I am quickly becoming a fashion don't as I try to keep myself covered, I don't care. I'm having twins!

1 comment:

Alex said...

sounds like you've moved up to epic proportions!