Monday, December 21, 2015

Sights and Sounds of the Season

It's the season for loving and giving so, of course, our house is full of hate and greed. Who knew certain children (who will not be named) could fight so much? And over such silly things? Natalia woke me up the other morning at 5:45 just to fight with me. Why does she do this? It would be so much easier to just sleep in a bit and not fight. But, noooo. And if the volume of the children goes up to 10, it has been permanently set on 11 for awhile now. Thankfully, there are occasional breaks in the squabbles and battles and no one has seriously injured themselves or their siblings (yet), so we have that going for us.

I had a moment on Friday night when I realized how much our kids do actually like each other, despite the indications otherwise. I went to put presents under the Christmas tree and discovered that there were already colorful Ziplocks of stuff under the tree, neatly labeled with each of our names in Sharpie. It turns out that Leon wrapped presents for everyone. Some were paper games he had made, others were real gifts he had "purchased" from the treasure box in his class. But before I could get too enamored with my thoughtful son, I did find the "dead" gingerbread man he decorated and hung up on the wall. (I have to admit though, the sword is a nice touch.)

The kids have actually been decorating the house like mad. Every time I turn around there are more decorations Scotch taped onto the walls. It is fun and festive (although it would drive a minimalist nuts.) Over the weekend the kids also decorated gingerbread houses. I have to say, I am impressed at how their decorating skills have improved. 

So now that the house looks like Christmas, perhaps it will start sounding a bit more like it too. The kids are actually getting better as we get closer to Christmas. (It helps that school and activities are done.) Fingers crossed that everyone actually finds the Christmas spirit by Friday!







No comments: