Monday, February 10, 2014

Last Birthday of the Season

The kids have taught me well, and I spent a good part of last week and all of the weekend celebrating my birthday. It started with my parents watching the kids so Jeff and I could go to a movie. As far as I can remember, this is only the second time we've made it to a movie since Natalia has been born, and the last trip to the movies was a baby gift from my office who paid for tickets and watched all four kids including tiny baby Natalia, so we were a little overdue. We ended up seeing American Hustle, which was quite enjoyable. (On a side note, I've had "I Feel Love" stuck in my head ever since and I felt compelled to wear wrap dresses to work all last week.)

Last Monday, my parents and grandmother took us out for Mexican food. I am quite embarrassed to say that my 93-year-old grandmother can guzzle margaritas much quicker than me. I obviously need more practice!

Things were quite for a few days, but on Friday night, Jeff and the kids took me out for Mexican food. (Yes, there is a theme. I was born in Texas. I cannot properly celebrate anything without chips and salsa.) After dinner, the kids all scurried into our bedroom to wrap my presents. They then, of course, helped me unwrap my presents.


Saturday I threw myself a small party. I love that: 1) I have friends to invite to a party. 2) My friends don't care that I throw myself a party. 3) My friends are still my friends even when they come over and there are dog fur tumbleweeds all over the house. (On the bright side, the toilets were clean!) The evening was simple. We just invited over two families for dinner, drinks, and cake. Of course, we had Mexican food. I just couldn't stop myself.

All together, there were 8 kids here. They had, um, fun in the toy room.


We didn't have any plain candles. Or the actual digits for my birthday. So it was decided I should be 23. I like that.

The best part of having my own birthday party? I didn't have to worry about driving home.


It was a relatively late night, with everyone staying until around 10, and the kids not getting to bed until 10:20. I'd like to say they slept in the next morning, but of course they didn't. So everyone has been a little groggy ever since. But it was completely worth it.

So we are now done with birthdays for the season. I am actually looking forward to the return to regular life. But maybe I'll let the party go on in my head just a little longer.



No comments: