Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Strange Conversations

It is hard not to be somewhat stunned by some of the conversations I have with the kids. Sometimes, it is truly because they are actually impressive. Ree has a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor that is just entertaining, and Leon has a monstrous vocabulary, and we have absolutely no idea where it came from. But then there are the moments that leave us scratching our heads. Like when Michael, who taught himself to read before his third birthday, asks the most basic of questions like, "Mom, what's a mom?" Or these recent conversations...

Leon was playing "hockey" in the house by hitting a ball with a broom. (Yes, he declared it hockey and not broomball.) He tells me his team is up 10-0. I told him that was great and asked how they scored so many goals. His reply was, "We got it because Tiger Woods had 13 at bats." Okay, so he loves sports but can't quite keep them straight.

Then there was the other night at bedtime with Natalia. She has always been the last to go to bed, and she closely observes her siblings' bedtime routines. In an effort to stall just a little more, the boys have started getting back rubs at bedtime, and this has apparently not gone unnoticed. One night, stalling herself, Natalia demanded a back rub. She was laying on her back, and I asked her to roll over. As I started to rub her back, she batted my hand away and said, "NO! Do it myself!" And so I just stood there, while she rubbed her own back. When she was done, she dismissed me and went to sleep.

No comments: