Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mr. Full Disclosure

Michael, like Abraham Lincoln, tells no lies. Unlike Abe, Michael takes it a step farther. He also keeps no secrets. He is Mr. Full Disclosure, and he shares everything on his brain from what he got you for Christmas to very imaginative descriptions of his toilet training success. (Gross story alert! One time he proudly told me he had "a numbers poop." When I ask what that meant he said, "It looks like a 7!")

Michael was the first of the kids to fall victim to the stomach bug that recently hit our house, and on Monday he stayed home with me while Jeff, Leon, and Natalia took Ree to school. I was planning on working from home that day, and Michael normally begs to watch TV for hours on end, so this seemed like a winning combination. We would sit on the couch together, me working and him a breathing, blinking lump. It turned out when he was actually allowed to watch as much TV as he wanted, he quickly grew bored with it. He read, colored, and even played on my iPad before I had to pull out the big guns.

I got out the old fashioned Play-Doh Fun Factory. I had actually forgotten about it (we also have a fancy one that multiple kids can play with at once) and the kids hadn't played with it in a really long time. Playing with the Fun Factory came with a caveat that we would put it away before everyone returned. Jeff was planning on getting back just before lunch, and I did not want to deal with Leon having a meltdown because he didn't get a turn.

Michael had fun, and I showed him how to make all different shapes, and we did put it away as soon as Jeff pulled in the driveway. Michael, of course, was then hysterical when they entered, but I thought we managed to successfully convince his concerned brother that Michael was just not feeling well and no one was the wiser that Play-Doh fun happened.

On Wednesday, it was Leon's turn as the sick child who stayed home with me. Again, I planned to work while he watched TV. However, the first thing Leon said was, "Let's use the Fun Factory to make spaghetti!" Thank you, Michael.

Ree wasn't feeling well either and she was home with us too. So Jeff took Michael and Natalia out for a morning of fun so we could have some quiet. While out, Michael managed to tell everyone he saw that his brother was not with him because he was sick and he threw up a lot. I am sure that's exactly what they wanted to hear.

No comments: