Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Underachiever and proud?

When I came home from my road trip for work, Michael's new talent was counting to ten.  He had been working on it before I left.  At night I would hear him practicing in bed, although the only real words I could make out were "Eight, nine, TEN.  Yay!" which he repeated over and over.  But upon my return, he proudly counted, "One, two, fee, fo' five, six, se-ben, eight, nine, ten."  Apparently it was such second nature he no longer had to cheer at the end.

Michael also surprised me last week by proving he knew the whole alphabet in both upper and lower case.  I guess the TV junkie does absorb something from watching "Ree show" on PBS (and I think Jeff might put in an awful lot of time too).

It's a good thing he has some book smarts, because the child is lacking in common sense.  Another "trick" he learned while I was gone was to make himself fall down and then say "OW!"  He did this a lot that first week I was back.  By last week he had moved on to bashing his forehead into walls, then pointing at the wall and saying, "Wall ouch."  At least he's moving on to multi-word sentences as a result.  Um, yeah.

No comments: