Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Little Helper

I never would've guessed it, but Leon loves helping!

Michael started showing signs of wanting to help last month.  Both boys enjoy "helping" with the dishwasher, which typically involves removing dishes to see which ones will shatter when hurled at a ceramic tile floor.  (Answer: All of them.)  They also like to play with knives to see what we really mean when we shout, "NO!  Sharp!"  (Yaaaaay boys!)  Thankfully, we've only lost two bowls and have no stab injuries from their "helping," and we've mostly learned to only load and unload the dishwasher when they are safely confined to their high chairs or cribs.

However, sometimes we do have to do dishes when the boys are around.  I typically load or empty the dishwasher as fast as possible and then slam the door shut.  Since I wouldn't let him play with all of the fun things inside the dishwasher, last month Michael started helping me close the dishwasher.  It is such fun to watch my lazy little boy must up all his strength to push the door closed.  And then he is so proud of himself.

But Leon has wanted none of that.  He just gets mad that we aren't letting him play with all of the lovely "toys" inside the dishwasher.

Michael also helps in the bathtub.  When I tell him it's time to wash, he digs around for the wash cloth and hands it to me.  Although I can't think of any other examples right now (stupid mommy brain!), I know there are other ways that Michael helps.  Leon has been a whole other story though.

Last Friday night I was getting ready to give the boys baths, and Leon was following me around whining and asking to be picked up.  You know, the usual.  I really didn't feel like dealing with him, so I thrust a pair of pajamas at him and barked out something like, "Here are your jammies."  Amazingly, the little guy grabbed them with both hands and proudly walked to the bathroom.  He knew what to do.  At that point I stopped and told him what a good little helper he was.  He beamed.

So I decided to try again on Saturday night.  Same thing.  So now, each night, he helps by carrying his pajamas to the bathroom.  The funniest part is since he's helping, he apparently feels he has earned the right to select his pajamas.  I will be holding two pairs, one for him and one for Michael, and Leon will inevitably elect to carry the pair that was intended for Michael.  Leon wants to make sure he gets the "good" jammies.

Leon also helped Jeff over the weekend.  We were getting ready to go to the grocery store, and the boys' shoes and socks were piled on the living room floor.  I think it started with Leon bringing Jeff a shoe.  So Jeff told him to go get another one, and he did.  After getting all four shoes, Jeff told Leon to go get the socks.  And he did, proudly carrying a pair of socks in each hand.

I know this all normal toddler behavior, but Leon spends so much time apparently staring off blankly, that it's amazing to discover that he is in fact observing what's going on around him and processing.  And he's willing to help!  If only he would be this helpful in 14 or 15 years...

No comments: